A longtime Telecom Italia employee has been awarded monthly social security payments after a court found that his brain tumor was caused by improper use of a company-issued cellphone.
Lawyer Stefano Bertone said Thursday that it was the first trial court verdict of which he was aware in the world “to recognize a link between cellphone use and the development of brain tumor.”
Bertone said one factor that appeared to have contributed to the verdict was the refusal by the court’s expert to accept into evidence studies that were funded by the telecom industry.
The legal reasoning behind the ruling, which was issued by a court in the northern city of Ivrea last month but only made public on Thursday, is expected to be released in the coming weeks.
The employee, Roberto Romeo, used the company cellphone for three hours a day for 15 years without taking any precautions, resulting in the non-cancerous tumor and the subsequent loss of hearing in one ear.
READ FULL STORY